January’s virtue is Excellence.
We had a great time skating on Thursday! We’re looking forward to the February and March dates.
Book donations needed: Please send in by Tuesday any reading books (fiction or non fiction) appropriate for Kindergarten to grade 8 students that you wish to donate to Greenleaf’s book sale. Proceeds will go to literacy charity initiatives.
Booksale: Wednesday, January 31 Further details will be provided to students this week.
Thursday, February 1:
- Pajama Day
- DEAR: Drop Everything And Read- Students can bring in reading material (e.g. Books, comic books, magazines, gaming manuals, etc) to read on their own or with others. I’d prefer !non-electronic reading material, unless it’s on Kobo, Kindle, or other e-reader (so for reading only).
- Hot chocolate and cookies, made by Student Council, will be on sale.
- Homework due (see below in Language for details)
- continued work on area, focusing on area of triangles, word problems and EQAO practice problems
- continued work with averages
- graphing: bar graphs and line graphs
- Math quiz on Friday: area of parallelograms and triangles, mean, median, mode, reading graphs
Science: continued investigations with electricity materials (static electricity, bulbs, wires, batteries, buzzers, doorbells- a student favourite…)
- We will work on our media ads for the Hamilton Spectator, which are due next Monday
- Students should be reading their “reading buddy book” – a book with multiple copies they chose to read with friends
- Homework: Due by Thursday, February 1. I have made many comments on students Biodiversity Reports, which they typed in google docs. Their homework task is to read my comments and make edits and revisions, perhaps even finishing writing and researching further to add more details. Students without access at home to a computer are welcome to arrange time at break to complete their homework- but before Thursday.
- I’m looking forward to reading the science fiction stories from last week’s homework. Students worked in groups to provide feedback on Thursday afternoon.